[Geany] relative paths in project files: is there an option?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jun 30 09:51:47 UTC 2011

On 30 June 2011 19:21, Joerg Desch <jd.vvd at web.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:42:02 +0200
> Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> i've been programming professionally for going on 20 years now, and i
>> have _never_ seen a source tree which has files from _outside_ the
>> source tree managed by build/project files within the source tree.
>
> Same here... ;-)

Sigh, another young 'un..

>> In my own software where i have had to deal with this problem, i took a
>> very simple approach with which i never had any unexpected
>> problems/behaviours:
>>
>> a) The project file's directory (where we load it from) is the virtual
>> root.
>> b) Paths to files under that root are stored relative.
>> c) Paths to outside that root are stored absolute.
>
> I totally agree with you. That would be the best way.
>
> Using relative paths would solve a second problem too. If the project file is used by linux and windows users, absolute paths are incompatible. But with paths relative to the project file's directory, window users could use the project file too.

Thats true, but do you want to share which files you last edited? :-)
It just emphasizes that the session data shouldn't be in the project
file if its in vcs.  So there should be a per project option to
prevent it.

The only other path in the project file is the basepath which is user
edited and is absolute or relative to the project file.  Its the
sessions that bit Stephan.