[Geany] relative paths in project files: is there an option?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jun 30 00:29:42 UTC 2011

Hi Dimitar,

> Filenames like "../../../../../../usr/share/doc/libpng/examples.c"
> are something I woudn't like to see. If someone can convince the
> leading developers (except for the missing Nick) on a three-state per
> project option "Store filenames as: Always absolute / Relative if under
> the project directory / Relative if under the project file directory",
> I'll implement it, and believe it'll be shorter and more compatible.
> No offence.

Personally I don't see the point, they are all subject to risk of
pointing to the wrong place if you move things, relative or absolute.
Basically the way the project file stores filenames is no concern of
the user, so why confuse things with an option that is still always
possibly wrong, KISS leave it absolute.

But if you do implement it, or instead, what about adding a "save
session in project file" option into the project file so individual
ones can turn it off?  That would be useful for project files stored
in vcs and they are the ones most likely to find themselves in some
different environment since they are cloned/checked out/... to lots of
places.

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:17:47 +0200
> Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> There shouldn't _be_ any files not under the project dir [...]
>
> That doesn't mean you shoudn't be able to open a file outside the
> project directory, and AFAIK, no IDE with such limitation exists.

Limiting to the project tree would be totally unacceptable, there are
always things outside the tree that you want to open, and have re-open
when you restart.