[Geany] relative paths in project files: is there an option?

Stephan Beal sgbeal at xxxxx
Wed Jun 29 07:07:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 June 2011 04:17, Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > There shouldn't _be_ any files not under the project dir, at least not
> > managed by the project management tool. IDEs are almost exclusively used
> for
> > working on source-control-based projects, and every source tree is rooted
> in
> > one directory.
>
> That is one theory, but not universal.  For example when multiple
> projects share a common part it needs to be in a separate tree because
> no vcs I know of allows nested working directories without a page full
> of caveats, and thats too mistake prone.

That's true enough.

> When storing project files in a vcs, storing sessions in them should
> be turned off, when I check out the project I don't care what you were
> last editing, or if I do thats what the vcs is for.  Then you don't
> have the risk you ran into.

It would be a pain in the neck for me, too, having to re-open the 6 or 8
files i tend to keep open, but i will have to do that on that one particular
environment. (i wasn't aware that it's an option.)

And having said that... my primary editor the past 15 years or so has been
xemacs, and xemacs doesn't use project files and doesn't remember what i had
opened last time. But xemacs (still) can't indent JavaScript worth a damn
(the emacsen get some joy from fighting the user when it comes to
indentation of JS), so i started using geany for PHP/JS stuff, and then
eventually started using it for C/C++ stuff, keeping xemacs open in the
background for when i need the macros. i've not a big fan of IDEs, but i
simple-without-being-too-simple geany.

Storing both absolute and relative and trying both increases the risk
> because they have an order and Murphy says that the wrong one will
> always be tried first (and found :-).

A very good point :/. Damn you, Murphy!

--
----- stephan beal