[Geany] relative paths in project files: is there an option?

Stephan Beal sgbeal at xxxxx
Wed Jun 29 06:58:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> Myself, I keep all of my Geany project files in a top-level ~/Projects
> directory and below that a sub-directory for each project's source tree.  I
> also add 'configure' and 'Makefile's to my VCS ignore file as to not check
> them in (assuming they're auto-generated by Autotools or whatever).
>
> From my observations, it's quite rare to see developers' personal "project
> files" in a project's source tree or checked into VCS.  Even a
> Geany-specific project like geany-plugins doesn't contain a single project
> file in its repository (from a quick `find' for *.geany).

Then we come from very different worlds. i work fairly regularly on probably
20 source trees, not one of which uses Autotools, and regularly work across
multiple PCs, so i need my project files checked in. On _one_ of them we
indeed do not check in developer-specific project files, but that's because
we all use different Java dev tools and the dev tools generate the project
files automatically from the build (Maven) scripts. But everywhere else,
it's hand-crafted GNU Make, baby :). (i.e. no project files, per se, except
for what individuals commit for their own use.)

Having said that - since a geany project file contains little more than the
list of open files, it's never a problem to quickly re-generate it if it
isn't maintained checked in. (And the absolute paths behaviour speaks
against checking them in.)

i do understand the "simplicity and elegance" of the current solution, but
being someone who works on a lot of different systems, i just happen to feel
that it's just fundamentally wrong vis-a-vis the larger scope of things.
(That's not intended as an insult - there's also plenty fundamentally wrong
with my software, and i _certainly_ don't always look at "the larger scope
of things." ;)

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/