[Geany] What am I doing wrong building Geany

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sun Jun 19 02:04:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

Le 19/06/2011 03:50, Sayth Renshaw a écrit :
> I have tried to build geany on both my linux and Windows Xp boxes.
>
> In both cases I cloned http://git.geany.org/git/geany
>
> I then cd:/ into geany and used ./configure. However I keep receiving
> this error. I checked the install doc in the downloaded file and it
> appears its supposed to be a simple ./configure, make, make install
> process.
>
> Its just not working for me though.
>
> # This is from my mingw shell.
>

> renshaw at RenshawResidence ~
> $ cd c:/geany
>
> renshaw at RenshawResidence /c/geany
> $ ./configure
> sh: ./configure: No such file or directory
>
> [...]

Short: run ./autogen.sh before, then follow standard instructions.

Long: the procedure described in the README & co is the one for
*distributed source tarballs*, not those stored in the VCS.  Actually,
configure is generated from configure.ac by the autogen.sh script, but
configure is distributed as part of the released source tarballs for
different reasons (one being it's part of the build system that generate
that very tarball).

On release tarballs the, you would just have to follow the instructions,
and run configure && make;  but since configure is generated
automatically by autogen.sh (actually, autoconf & friends) it is not
part of the maintained sources, thus not part of the repository.

So, the instructions to build from SVN/Git are:

  $ ./autogen.sh # replaces ./configure
  $ # no need to run configure, autogen.sh already does so.  However,
  $ # it would not be a problem to run it
  $ make
  $ make install # as root if needed

Regards,