[Geany] VC on Windows

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Jun 10 00:32:33 UTC 2011

On 06/09/11 16:38, Murray Collingwood wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have Geany and GeanvyVC working nicely on my Linux machine.
>
> ON LINUX:
> I installed 'git'
> I created a clone from my local server.
>  From Geany I make a change to the file, test, and then right mouse on
> the file and select "VC Commit" - enter some comments and click 'Commit'
>
> ON WINDOWS (Vista)
> I installed 'git bash'
> I created a clone from the same local server.
>  From Geany I make a change to the file, test, and then right mouse on
> the file and select "VC Commit" - nothing happens.
> I try Tools | VC and the Status, Update and Commit options are all
> grayed out.
>
>  From 'git bash' I can change to the directory where the files and
> repository exist and run 'git status' - it shows me a status but
> indicates the updates are not ready for commit.  So I ran 'git add
> {filename}' (which btw I didn't think should be necessary as I didn't do
> this on Linux). 'git status' now shows the file ready for commit.  Back
> in Geany there is still no action when I select 'VC Commit'. 'Status' is
> still grayed out.  Back in 'git bash' I can run 'git commit -a' which
> commits the change.
>
> I clearly have two problems:
>
> 1) Why isn't GeanyVC recognising the git repository.

It might be more that GeanyVC is not recognizing the Git program you are
using.  I'm guessing if you can go into the regular Windows Command
Prompt and use the 'git' command normally, GeanyVC should have no
problems.  IIRC the Git installer has options to install Git proper and
make it findable through the Path environment variable.

> 2) Why didn't the clone add these files to the index? (This is probably
> better directed at the 'git' forum, I just thought it best to at least
> mention it here so you know the full picture)

AFAIK, if you changed a file, you need to add it to the staging area
before its changes can be committed.  Are you saying files you didn't
change were needing to be added, or that in Linux you could change files
and commit their changes them without adding them?

Cheers,
Matthew Brush