[Geany] Moving contents from newsletter.geany.org into the wiki?

Randy Kramer rhkramer at xxxxx
Sun Jun 5 19:45:44 UTC 2011

Lex,

Hi!

On Sunday 05 June 2011 07:44:52 am Lex Trotman wrote:
> Randy Kramer wrote:
> > IMO, the newsletter should contain good, complete (i.e.,
> > self-contained) articles on some subject.  The article should
> > contain a link to a wiki page that is, at least at one point in
> > time, the text of the article.
>
> I don't really see the point of having the newsletter in nicely
> produced HTML, text, and PDF and wikified format as well.  Using the
> wiki for developing the newsletter is noted below.

Well, I'm not particularly advocating that the newsletter be kept in
nicely produced HTML, text, and PDF and wikified format, but that might
be the result of what I am advocating.

   * IMHO, if a newsletter is published, a copy of it should be archived
somewhere, sort of in an "as published" form, so that if somebody needs
to see what was published, it can be found.

   * I would like to see a wiki page used during the writing of each
article to facilitate collaboration, etc.

   * I'd like to see that same wiki page live on after the article is
published as sort of the canonical source of the information that was
used in the newsletter, but this should be a living thing.  If
circumstances change (patches to Geany to change behavior, whatever),
the content of the wiki page should change accordingly.

As an example, if there is a newsletter article about, I don't
know--setting margins (not that you'd do that in an editor), the
article starts out on a wiki page.  When it gets to be in good shape,
or a publishing deadline arrives, it is dressed up and moved to the
newsletter (or dressed up after being moved to the newsletter).

The newsletter gets published.  The newsletter contains a link to
the "source" wiki page, and the wiki page contains a link to the
newsletter.  (It might read: "An article, entitled <title> based on the
content of this page as of <date> was published in the Geany
Newsletter, dated <date>.")

Later a patch is added that changes the method of setting margins.  The
wiki page should get modified in the wiki way to reflect the new
method.  (The link to the newsletter might be changed to something
like:  "An article, entitled <title> based on the *previous* content of
this page as of <date> was published in the Geany Newsletter, dated
<date>."

Now, finally, the reason for the other wiki page that is immutable and
contains the original text of the article:  Suppose over the years, the
content of that wiki page gets so changed that it is no longer
recognizable as the source of the newsletter article?

Maybe the page just changes so much that it is unrecognizable.  Or, it
gets filled with so much content that it is decided to split the page
into two or more pieces.

Somebody, reading an old copy of the newsletter (found on google),
comes to that page from the newsletter and says "wtf" (pronounced
double u, tee, eff)--this isn't what I'm looking for--something is
wrong.  At that point, the link to an immutable copy of the article
would at least let the person know they came to what was the right
page.

And, maybe, then they go back through the old revisions of the mutable
page to see what happened.

Is that immutable page really useful?  Well, it's the kind of thing I'd
try to keep, but I'm probably in the minority.

regards,
Randy Kramer