[Geany] Moving contents from newsletter.geany.org into the wiki?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Jun 5 11:44:52 UTC 2011

Hi Randy,

> I like Matthew's idea a lot, but I don't think what he described is
> quite like a teaser.  It is more like the wiki becomes the canonical
> location for the information disclosed in the newsletter.

I also think that that was what he was suggesting, but I have some
problems with that being an automatic situation.

> When I say it that way, it is more like the newsletter is the teaser for
> the wiki, but I wouldn't suggest that either.

I just did , see other post :-) (not the whole newsletter of course,
but some of it)

> IMO, the newsletter should contain good, complete (i.e., self-contained)
> articles on some subject.  The article should contain a link to a wiki
> page that is, at least at one point in time, the text of the article.

I don't really see the point of having the newsletter in nicely
produced HTML, text, and PDF and wikified format as well.  Using the
wiki for developing the newsletter is noted below.

> Potential newsletter articles might (well, I'd like to say should--there
> may be exceptions, perhaps due to deadline pressure) be posted on the
> wiki.  Others can review those potential articles and make or suggest
> improvements in the wiki way.

The ability for newsletter content to be reviewed and commented by all
and sundry is an absolute.  The wiki may indeed be an effective tool
for that as it lowers the bar for submission and especially comment
and correction.  I for one would probably do more if all I had to do
was edit the wiki page because I only need a browser and can do it
from any machine, rather than having to become a committer on the git
repo or send in patches, but I think thats up to the production team.

But this use of the wiki as a tool for developing the newsletter
should be clearly separate from the other information in the wiki
because the development process is inevitably messy

> (There might be a notice on the page saying either that the wiki page is
> proposed as a newsletter article (by the writer or someone else), or is
> anticipated to be (i.e., tentatively, at least, accepted as a
> newsletter article.)

This is part of the development process, see above.

> When the article is published in the newsletter, there is a link to the
> wiki page.

Certainly any newsletter article should link to the wiki if it relates
to something on the wiki, but just linking to its own content seems
rather pointless.

Although having a comments page for each newsletter might be a good idea.

> After the newsletter article is posted, the page remains on the wiki and
> (in the wiki way) is corrected and updated as time goes by.  Also,
> after the article is published in the wiki, a notice is added to the
> page that says something to the effect that "this wiki page was the
> basis for the article published in the Geany newsletter of <date> under
> the title "<title>"".

Don't think leaving working drafts on the wiki is a good idea.  If a
topic is worthy of being in the wiki then it should be a wiki page
properly categorised and tagged.  This can of course evolve.

> It might be appropriate to do something like create an additional
> immutable page to serve as a permanent repository to the article,
> linked from the mutable page.

As I said above, I don't see the point of keeping text, HTML, PDF and
a wikified version of the newsletter.