[Geany] Theme for the Wiki

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sun Jun 5 10:40:34 UTC 2011

Am Sonntag, den 05.06.2011, 20:05 +1000 schrieb Lex Trotman:
> On 5 June 2011 19:51, Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
> > Geany Wiki: http://wiki.geany.org/
> >
> > Both look almost the same. Wikipedia is running MediaWiki, the Geany
> > Wiki is running DokuWiki. They behave different, though. What am I
> > missing? Did you guys intend to confuse new users?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dominic
> >

> Hi Dominic,
>
> AFAICT the differences only become apparent when you get to editing
> pages.  For visitors reading and seeking information they work pretty
> similarly, except for the differences due to size of course :-)
>
> Unlike wikipedia the Geany wiki is a repository that isn't likely to
> be much edited by the general public, more likely by the denizens of
> the development list.  I think that most of them will be able to
> handle the differences.
>
> Are you suggesting that wikis can only run mediawiki if they look like this? :-)

No, actually not. :) I'm just afraid people might get confused. Maybe
not the ones who already know that we run DokuWiki, but it could be an
additional hurdle for new people to join the Geany community.

When I visited the Wiki after more than a week or so, I first actually
thought the DokuWiki installation has been revealed and a MediaWiki got
installed (Note I didn't get around to read the Wiki thread under the
week, and the count of mails were just too much so I marked them as read
without actually reading). This was just for a moment, but it was.

Not that I wanted the Theme to change now, I am fine with this situation
as is, now that I know it is still DokuWiki. :) Just wanted to mention
this issue and see what others think about this, I guess I won't be the
last confused. :)

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com>
http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint: A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D