[Geany] Moving contents from newsletter.geany.org into the wiki?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Jun 4 09:05:29 UTC 2011

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 09:35:52 +0200, Dominic wrote:

>Am Freitag, den 03.06.2011, 16:44 +0200 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
>> Hi,
>>
>> what do you wiki and newsletter guys think of the following idea:
>>
>> we move most of the current content of http://newsletter.geany.org/
>> into the wiki, for testing purpose, I already did it (please note
>> this is just for testing and to get your feedback).
>>
>> In the wiki the latest volumes are linked, the newsletter files
>> themselves remain on newsletter.g.o.
>I definitely see the advantage for having such informations also in the
>wiki, but I don't see why we should remove informations from
>newsletter.geany.org.

By cleaning up newsletter.geany.org we could use the current newsletter
issue as index page for the site which I think would be cool.
If you really want, we could add some kind of footer (or a small
header) to link to the Wiki as well as the autogenerated index page.
So, users can just point their browser to newsletter.geany.org and
always get the latest newsletter issue presented without any further
clicks.

>From perspective of a user who is searching for old volumes of the
>Newsletter, I'd go to newsletter.geany.org and be frustrated if I was
>not able to find them there. I'd never come to the thought to search in
>the wiki for that.

Maybe. This could be solved by a header or footer, see above.

>From my technical and rational point of view: The listing with the
>newsletter volumes is generated automatically. The list in the wiki has
>to be maintained manually. Well...see my point? ;)

Not at all.
Making a new newsletter issue is always manual work, this is not an
automated process and so I think adding a line which is mostly
copy&paste in the wiki, isn't the worst thing ever. Whatever, I'd happy
to do this if it seems like a hard task.