[Geany] Question about multi-head display issues

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jul 8 12:50:43 UTC 2011

On 8 July 2011 22:32, Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 8 July 2011 21:23, Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:What
>> virtual display are you running on the server via SSH? My guess
>> would be :0, so Geany stores that the dialog is on :0 and then when
>> you run it locally it pops up on :0 which is the main screen.
>
> It's localhost:10.0 when running over (ssh -X), but the the starting display
> offset can be configured in ssh, IIRC. But the copy of geany running over
> ssh is not the same geany binary i run locally - my local copy is only ever
> active on my  external monitor (but it _might_ have, at some point, started
> up on the internal monitor and i moved it over to the external monitor). On
> both geany binaries i'm seeing the same behaviour - main window is on screen
> #2 while dialogs pop up over on #1.
> i don't see anything in geany.conf about the display but i do see a socket:
> stephan at infomat-dev:~/public_html$ l /home/stephan/.config/geany/
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 stephan consol    26 Jul  8 13:52
> geany_socket_infomat-dev_localhost_10 -> /tmp/geany_socket.d5368770
>

>> Either that or its a display (like :2) that doesn't exist on your
>> local machine so the WM just shrugs and puts Geany on the screen its
>> started from and the dialog on :0
>
> Where would i find the persistent display setting? The only mention of ':' i
> find in geany.conf is:
> pref_template_datetime=%d.%m.%Y %H:%M:%S %Z

display is an X11 option, not one that Geany controls, its set by
--display or the DISPLAY environment variable and xlib reads it not
Geany.  Note don't play with these on the SSH system or you will
probably break it, SSH sets it to something unused on that machine so
it has total control for security.

>> PS Yes, fixing this sort of thing is not very portable as I know from
>> past heartache.
> IMO it's not worth the effort/pain to try to fix this in geany unless it's
> really just a missing API call (as Emil mentioned), but you already debunked
> that as being a gtk3 thing. It sounds like it would be a huge, ugly can of
> worms to me.

No it won't be set_transient_for anyway because thats for implicit
position and Geany sets the position explicitly.

Just out of interest if you open the search dialog, move it to display
#2, close it and re-open it where does it come up? It should be where
you left it.