[Geany] Question about multi-head display issues

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jul 8 10:58:23 UTC 2011

On 8 July 2011 20:24, Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Emil Brink <emil at obsession.se> wrote:
>>
>> I'm away from my home Linux machine now, but this sounds like maybe
>> Geany doesn't call
>>
>> http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-set-transient-for
>> for the Search dialog. That's at least the first thing to investigate.
>> This is a function call though, not an option you can tweak without
>> code changes. Perhaps someone developer who actually runs multi-head
>> knows more ...

Hi Stephan,

I run Geany on Gnome on multihead without real problems.  The dialog
is explicitly positioned each time its created and that position is
remembered the next startup.

If you move Geany across monitors you get it confused, AFAIK the
window manager doesn't inform Geany of the change so it can't
compensate.  Just move the dialog again and it should stay there.

Again this might be fixed by session management upgrades, but I doubt it.

Note Emil's reference is to GTK3 and Geany is NOT gtk3 compatible (or
it might be just that the stupid GTK docs make it too easy to get into
GTK3 when you want GTK2).