[Geany] GeanyVC lockup

Murray Collingwood murray at xxxxx
Sun Jul 3 10:57:13 UTC 2011

Hi Lex, Frank

Sorry guys, I just assume everybody is using Debian Squeeze like me, and of
course the slightly aged Geany 0.19.1 (why am I still using this old
version...) with GeanyVC 0.19.   I'm using it because there were binaries
available and generally I'm finding the binaries of any package I download
constitute the most stable version available. (That's an interesting
discussion for another time possibly).

I use Propel with my PHP development and consequently there is a script that
generates and occasionally updates class files.  It's fairly intelligent and
only updates files necessary (not simply overwriting everything).  Anyways,
after making some changes to my database schema the Propel script was run
that updated about 100 class files (ie these files were not modified within
Geany).  There were about 6-8 files updated using Geany.

I then opened one of the files modified within Geany and right-mouse on the
file pane to bring up the context menu and select the 'VC commit' option.
At this point Geany stopped responding and the CPU (well one of them
anyways) was at 100%.

I tried this twice with the same result.

I tried a 'git status' at the console and it worked fine, however it did
show a largish number (100 or so) files that had been modified along with a
few new files that were not yet in the repository control.

I was able to open a number of new files that had been created and selected
the 'VC file actions' -> 'Add to version control' and this function worked
fine.  After adding these files I tried the 'VC commit' again and it hung
again.

I finally ended up running at the console 'git commit -a' and this worked
okay.

Frank, you suggested that there might be a problem with changes to a large
number of files as I had, and probably exasperated by the version I'm
running.  Will the latest version make any difference to this?  Or do I
simply resort to the command line when this happens again?

Lex, in light of the above do you think there is still any value in running
the dbg and providing results from this?

Thanks for your responses.
Cheers
Murray

On 3 July 2011 16:39, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 13:01:53 +1000
> Murray Collingwood <murray at focus-computing.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Just had a case where my GeanyVC plugin locked up the CPU when selecting
> the
> > 'Commit' menu option.
> >
> > I had to manually commit the changes from the command line: "git commit
> -a"
> >
> > If this happens again what should I do next time?  Is there some debug
> > setting I should use?
> > Or are we looking to move to the new git browser plugin being developed?
> > Does that have add and commit functionality?
>
> Did you had a lot of changes inside your git repository? This usaly
> happens in such cases and is caused by the way how the information
> about changes are cought and printed into commit dialog.
>
> Cheers,
> Frank
> --
> Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>