[Geany] relative paths in project files: is there an option?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jul 1 23:35:14 UTC 2011

On 2 July 2011 03:18, Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> ...As you can see, your views are not universal.
>
> No, they're not universal, but 99.99+% of source trees do not directly
> reference files outside of the source tree. i've never personally seen even
> one which does (and i've seen a boatload of source trees).

Tsk tsk, monolithic software, bad practice (not that I'm criticizing mind :-)

> In any case - i've come to accept that Geany's project file is but a
> convenience for remembering what i was editing, and not a real "project
> file" (it doesn't know how to build my project - GNU make does that for me).

Well it does know how to invoke the build commands (nothing stored
means use the default) so if you are using something different to the
"died of old age but hasn't stopped moving yet" make and its totally
unportable friends autofake and autofools then the project file is
where you store the commands.  Thats another use case for putting
project files in vcs as well as your perfectly reasonable convenience
reason.

> And given that scope, it's absolute-path behaviour doesn't bother me all
> that much any more. But i do think the solution mentioned by Jiri and others
> would be "the right thing to do."

Well it would do the right thing a little more often so its worth doing.