[Geany] Indentation problems

Philipp Kalder pkalder at xxxxx
Sat Jan 29 18:53:59 UTC 2011

Hello Lex,

I very much appreciate your willingness to help.

I have to apologize for being so blind. I completely ignored what you had
to remind me of:

> You are aware that closing brackets ([{< only closes unmatched open
> brackets so if a matching close is found none will be added?

The main file I was concerned about, is a 1400 lines script that's part of a
set
of files working together. Their functions being accessed through calls to a
WSGI Server.
It's live, in a productive environment serving more than 300.000 calls a
day.

If a function in it would be faulty, than the whole thing wouldn't work.
That's what
I've seen happening and that's what I assumed. Even though not all functions
are used
(some are for debugging purposes). I was wrong.

Here is what I did:

I was thinking that just part of the script in question wouldn't help.
If all brackets would be consistent, then it would just work. I tried taking
two
functions out of it, pasting them into a new file and saved it. Testing it,
as expected, showed
auto-closing working properly. And then it struck me, I tried it in the
first line of the
original file, in the middle of it and on the last line. On the last line
the parenthesis was auto-closed.

So all I have to do now is find the faulty function/line of code in 1400
lines ;-)

One question though is left: Would an opening bracket in some comment or
commented out/disabled function cause this for the rest of the file as well?

So far I have narrowed it down to a function. Trying 'base64.b64decode('
prior to the
def statement does not close it, trying the same right under the last line
of this function
prior to the next def statement closes the parenthesis. I'm not sure what
this tells me, but . . .

I guess that's my puzzle to solve.

Thank you very much for exchanging views with me.

Regards,
Philipp