[Geany] Per-workspace instance of Geany

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Jan 26 22:37:57 UTC 2011

On 27 January 2011 09:12, Randy Kramer <rhkramer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 January 2011 04:58:57 pm Thomas Martitz wrote:
>> On 26.01.2011 21:05, Randy Kramer wrote:
>> > One annoyance is if you want to have a 2nd instance of the file so
>> > that you can work in two places in the file.  (Some editors allow
>> > you to do a split pane or similar to solve that problem, but not
>> > all.)
>>
>> Concurrent instances is probably not the way to achieve that. Is
>> there any program in the world which allows this?
>
> Allows what?  Opening the same file in different tabs of the same
> instance of an editor?  Opening the same file in two different
> instances of an editor?
>
> Many that I've used.
>
> I don't do it often--I'd have to test again to confirm which of the
> current editors I use do that.
>
> Randy Kramer

Hi Randy,

An Emacs instance of course allows the same file to be edited in more
than one top level window and the edits appear in the others.  In fact
I am occasionally moved to go back to Emacs for just this capability,
editing definitions at the top of a file and functions using them at
the bottom of the file.

I don't know of any editors where editing the file in multiple
instances allows the edits to show up in the other instances.

Dumb editors allow you to edit the file in multiple instances and the
last saved just overwrites previous saves, not really what we want
since I for one will almost certainly do it accidentally :-(