[Geany] Per-workspace instance of Geany

Krzysztof Żelechowski giecrilj at xxxxx
Wed Jan 26 12:02:00 UTC 2011

Dnia środa, 26 stycznia 2011 o 11:45:53 Lex Trotman napisał(a):
> Ok, understand.  OOq puts a lock file in the directory for each file
> thats open, thats how it prohibits multi-edit.
>
> Thats Ok for a document editor, but I'm not so sure for a development
> editor where potentially lots of files are open.  And the performance
> hit on remote files is potentially significant.  Users editing remote
> files are already complaining about performance.  And we then have the
> problem of removing lock files when Geany quits or crashes.  That
> means blocking closing Geany until lock files are removed which could
> be a problem again on remote filesystems.

First of all, proper use of a version control system should eliminate the need to edit networked files in Geany, unless the developer sits on a thin client — but then either the network is good enough or nothing works.

So Geany could limit its locking facilities to local files or instruct the developer about proper procedures.

IMHO,
Chris