[Geany] Per-workspace instance of Geany

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jan 24 23:43:11 UTC 2011

On 24 January 2011 23:52, Randy Kramer <rhkramer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 22 January 2011 09:07:31 pm Lex Trotman wrote:
>> 3. It is (I think) a big change to allow Geany to have one instance
>> with multiple top level windows, how to handle different projects in
>> different top levels? how to handle different preferences in
>> different top levels?
>>
>> So AFAICT there is no clear solution.
>>
>> My personal choice would be 3 because it would then also support
>> multiple monitor setups, but I believe that there is a lot of usage
>> issues to resolve and a LOT of work involved.
>>
>> Any good ideas welcome.
>
> No good ideas, but I'll continue to express biased opinions ;-)

Every opinion is biased, except mine :-)

> I'm not sure I fully understand your number 3, but if that means I can
> run only one instance of Geany (with multiple top level windows). I
> would be concerned.
>
> It sounds like the way Iceweasel / Firefox is set up, at least as of
> version 3.0.6, which is what I'm using.
>
> My problem with that is that if something happens to that one instance
> of Iceweasel (with several top level windows open on different
> desktops), I lose all the open pages.  (For that reason, I continue to
> use konqueror as my primary web browser--there are pages for which
> doesn't work, but when one instance dies (hangs or crashes), I lose
> only the open pages on that instance.
>
> (I feel this way despite the fact that Iceweasel allows me to easily
> reopen all those pages (and, I've finally (recently) learned how to do
> the same thing with konqueror in conjunction with a cron job...))
>
> I don't expect Geany to hang / crash, but 11 years or so ago I was told
> that Linux never crashes, but I've managed to prove those people wrong
> (not intentionally, and to my detriment). .-)

Save early, save often :-) after all if the file isn't on disk no
other tools can access it :-)

Your description of single instance, multi window is correct, yes
there is a slightly enhanced risk, but IMH(unbiased)O compared to the
problems with multiple instances this is small, see my scenario on
another post on this thread.  No software can prevent the same file in
two instances being different.  With a single instance all windows see
the same (possibly modified) version of the file.

Whereas multiple instances do not know about each other and chaos
reigns, the single instance knows about its multiple windows, and so
can save multiple sets of prefs/projects etc.

The alternative (to continue your browser theme) is the Chrome
approach where each tab (Geany top level) is a separate process but
there is a front end controller process that manages them.  But Chrome
doesn't have to contend with Geany's problem of synchronizing
modifications to multiple instances of a file.