[Geany] Per-workspace instance of Geany

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jan 24 23:12:05 UTC 2011

On 25 January 2011 04:30, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:22:33 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > X11: the session management supports instances.
>>
>> So who decides who wins?
>
> To answer both a and b, nobody wins. For the preferences and project
> files, the single instance sm works like hybernate-and-restore: each
> instance preserves it's own configuration, and neither geany.conf nor
> the project files are saved.

Oh ok, its unchanged wins :-), ie thats what is left in the
prefs/project files for use by any new instance started up.  Or
another way to look at it is the most recently closed Geany wins,
assuming a user eventually closes one or more of the instances.

> (For the document files it asks if to save, of course. XSMP suggests
> that a modified file may be saved into a temporary file, and then
> reloaded and remarked as modified, but I have yet to see a progam
> impementing THAT idea.)

For saving files, and to some extent projects, the problem is not the
software, its the liveware behind the keyboard, an example scenario:
I have f.txt open and modified in two instances (perhaps on different
workspaces and I've forgotten about having two). At logout the session
management makes Geany instance one pop-up a "save modified file
f.txt?" box, I say yes/no, then instance two does the same and I get
very confused about which one I want??!@#$%^&* I'm in a rush to logout
and going to miss my bus home :-(  Maybe the temporary file now and
decide later has some merit!

BTW how does that dialog box identify the instance?

>> It will be fine if Dimitar's implementation is included in trunk. It
>> is more "right" than mine.
>
> Thanks. :)
>
>> Moreover, it does not contain so much
>> miscellaneous stuff unrelated to session management.
>
> Actually none. Two extra patches are required, but one of them is
> shared with the various prefs editor, and the other is a cleanup.

Might be a nice idea to post the required patch(s) again so
Nick/Enrico don't have to search the archives