[Geany] Per-workspace instance of Geany

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jan 24 05:50:30 UTC 2011

Eric & Thomas,

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Geany needs more people who can test
format and commit patches and bugfixes and more people who can develop
the more major changes we have talked about in branches.  I think that
Geany makes very little use of branches, even for a SVN project.

And yes the slow pace of change is frustrating (although I don't say
this too often since my own lack of time to do much more than emails
could prompt the obvious comeback :-D but I hope the emails are
helpful in the meantime)

What it needs to get this going is some offers to be maintainers and
maybe a maintenance/unstable branch so only critical fixes go directly
in trunk and unstable gets promoted after suitable testing.  This can
allow commits to be checked by multiple people until the new commiters
get practice (I know how easy it is to forget the commit log, or
format wrong).

Also I believe that the project needs some planning and management for
the bigger changes. Unless the change is purely experimental its not
good to make major changes without planning and discussion, I refer to
the session management changes as an example (without in any way
criticising those who worked on them, they responded to concerns as
they were raised, but would have had a better time if some of the
problems had been addressed prior to implementation).

Whilst I am not suggesting anything near as formal as the PEP system
used by Python, the general idea of having a written description of
what the change is intended to do and how it is to be implemented
helps the implementors get their ideas straight and might point out
some of the potential pitfalls prior to starting.  It also ensures
that everyone has an idea of the extent of the changes so there will
be less surprises of the "but I didn't expect it to do that" type.

Anyways I'll climb down off my soapbox now :-)