[Geany] Per-workspace instance of Geany

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jan 24 00:22:33 UTC 2011

Hiya,

On 24 January 2011 01:35, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:07:31 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> a. who owns the preferences? preventing multiple instances from
>> changing preferences is very limiting, if they can all change them,
>> who saves their set when Geany terminates? and how to lock them
>> irrespective of the filesystem they reside on to prevent scrambled
>> preferences?
>
> Windows: the instances are stopped one by one. The last one wins.

Kinda arbitary :-)

> X11: the session management supports instances.

So who decides who wins?

>> b. how do you restart multiple instances? which leads to session
>> management being required, but Geany has two potential implementations
>> of that and no clear path forward yet
>
> It has a complete sm for the current single-instance behaviour, and an
> incomplete multi-instance sm for the non-implemented multi-instance
> behaviour. So the real question is, do we plan to introduce any multi
> instancing in Geany in the foreseeable future? If not, the last
> single-instance sm applies against 5530, and is quite stable.

I didn't realise that the single instance was working, now 0.20 is out
maybe its worth prompting Nick, Enrico, Frank et al because it would
be worthwhile adding the ability for Geany to close and re-open with
the session.

The question of course was about multi instance, and as you say its still ...

>> c. the same issues relating to preferences apply to project files
>> being used by more than one instance, or if a project can be open in
>> only one instance how to enforce that?
>
> The same answer as for a. and b.

There wasn't a user acceptable multi-instance answer in a or b.

>> d. and of course these also apply to the same document file being open
>> in multiple instances, at logout/shutdown who's copy gets saved? how
>> do you detect the fact so you can at least warn the user? remember
>> that locking and the like don't work on remote filesystems.
>
> Both Windows and X11-sm will ask you for any modified files.
>
> (In the current implementation, both simply terminate.)

Making incorporation of the single instance sm patch even more worthwhile.

But that doesn't help the user to decide which of multiple instances
is the correct one to save the prefs/project/file from.