[Geany] Per-workspace instance of Geany

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sun Jan 23 14:35:13 UTC 2011

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:07:31 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> a. who owns the preferences? preventing multiple instances from
> changing preferences is very limiting, if they can all change them,
> who saves their set when Geany terminates? and how to lock them
> irrespective of the filesystem they reside on to prevent scrambled
> preferences?

Windows: the instances are stopped one by one. The last one wins.
X11: the session management supports instances.

> b. how do you restart multiple instances? which leads to session
> management being required, but Geany has two potential implementations
> of that and no clear path forward yet

It has a complete sm for the current single-instance behaviour, and an
incomplete multi-instance sm for the non-implemented multi-instance
behaviour. So the real question is, do we plan to introduce any multi
instancing in Geany in the foreseeable future? If not, the last
single-instance sm applies against 5530, and is quite stable.

> c. the same issues relating to preferences apply to project files
> being used by more than one instance, or if a project can be open in
> only one instance how to enforce that?

The same answer as for a. and b.

> d. and of course these also apply to the same document file being open
> in multiple instances, at logout/shutdown who's copy gets saved? how
> do you detect the fact so you can at least warn the user? remember
> that locking and the like don't work on remote filesystems.

Both Windows and X11-sm will ask you for any modified files.

(In the current implementation, both simply terminate.)

--
E-gards: Jimmy