[Geany] do not open oversize files - confirmation threshold

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Jan 5 18:47:40 UTC 2011

Le 05/01/2011 18:57, Nick Treleaven a écrit :
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 18:30:06 +0100
> Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
>
>>> If you really want to do something then a warning "this is a big file
>>> are you sure you want to open it" using a hidden pref is the most
>>> sensible, with a pref value of zero meaning no check so people like me
>>> with 4G can turn it off.
>>
>> I think this shouldn't be done as a hidden pref (in case of we really
>> want to add such a thing which I doubt is very useful at all) as I'm
>
> I think it is useful if it can prevent someone's Geany freezing and
> possibly making the whole system unresponsive.
I agree. Once, I opened by accident a ~1GB file with Geany, and
regretted my mistake for minutes -- because I didn't want to kill Geany,
I had unsaved changes.
I wish I had such a confirmation dialogue ^^

Moreover, are such over-sized files so common in a text editor? I'd bet no.

>> sure a lot of people having issues with to big files and not reading
>> this list will just not read manual etc. and therefor not be able to
>> find the switch to either turn it on or off.
>
> I think confirming loading of a big file is not a big problem for the
> user. The dialog could mention that the limit is configurable.
I could even have a "don't ask me anymore"-like checkbox like in some
apps (I think of Firefox but there are others) that would:
1) show there is a preference
2) allow annoyed user to easily get rid of the warning

>> Also the maximum is hardly
>> depending on plattform and filetype ... at least from my experience
>> open up huge XML files on Windows. I suggest to add a bool "Warn at
>> huge files" im combination with an input element configuring at which
>> point we are talking about a big file.
>
> As Lex suggested, a hidden pref could accept a value of zero to disable
> the confirmation completely.
>
> The question is what should the default be, and personally I think some
> kind of limit is better than no limit.
I personally almost never edit files > 5Mo, so I'd suggest about 30/50Mo
limit by default.
But allowing to modify the value is probably a good thing if the default
size doesn't match user needs (e.g. someone that often edit 100Mo files
but won't make Geany hang with 1Gb files).

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Colomban