[Geany] do not open oversize files

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Wed Jan 5 17:30:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 11:08:18 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/1/5 Krzysztof Żelechowski <giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl>:
> > Dnia wtorek, 4 stycznia 2011 o 20:19:55 Dimitar Zhekov napisał(a):

> >> Like what?..
> >
> > Like necessarily allocating a contiguous block of physical memory.
> >  GNU malloc uses mmap so it is all virtual.
>

> And on modern kernels virtual memory can be overcommitted
> significantly, so it may not work & is expensive since the page tables
> have to be constructed even if the memory is not used.
>
> Also this could cause fragmentation of the virtual address space that
> may limit how many times it will work.
>
> If you really want to do something then a warning "this is a big file
> are you sure you want to open it" using a hidden pref is the most
> sensible, with a pref value of zero meaning no check so people like me
> with 4G can turn it off.

I think this shouldn't be done as a hidden pref (in case of we really
want to add such a thing which I doubt is very useful at all) as I'm
sure a lot of people having issues with to big files and not reading
this list will just not read manual etc. and therefor not be able to
find the switch to either turn it on or off. Also the maximum is hardly
depending on plattform and filetype ... at least from my experience
open up huge XML files on Windows. I suggest to add a bool "Warn at
huge files" im combination with an input element configuring at which
point we are talking about a big file.

Cheers + just my 2ct.
Frank
--