[Geany] RFC: Setting up a monthly newsleter?

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Sun Jan 2 14:11:39 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I was thinking about an idea I'm not sure whether somebody would be
interesting in.

As the Geany family is growing it might become more difficult to keep
track on current developments inside the project as well as the close
environment like new or updated plugins, important updates on GTK or
some other used library in case you don't read every mail on the mailing
list or hanging around all time inside IRC.

As I know from a couple of other projects some kind of a project
newsletter has been set up by a couple of people to help to keep on
track with latest updates. So I'd like to suggest setting up something
like this also for Geany and its plugins etc..

In difference to the newsletters around Debian or PostgresSQL I was
thinking about a monthly one maintained by a small team of maybe three
people monitoring the mailing list, IRC as well as they are open for
input of users and (plugin) developers. Based on this they could
compile a newsletter and send it out to either geany-user mailing list
or maybe some newly created one.

I could imagine of topics inside the 'newsletter' (unsorted list):
* Geany Core
	* Reviews inside press, blogs, wikis etc.
	* Major updates/bugfixes/improvements on svn trunk
	* New releases and updates
	* HowTos for working with Geany
* Plugins
	* New plugins available
	* Major updates/improvements/bugfixes on plugins
* General
	* Important updates of used libraries
	* News out of community (of importance for Geany)

So question are:
Who would like to see such a thing?
Who would be able to help compiling such a newsletter?
Any other ideas or suggestions?

Cheers,
Frank
--