[Geany] Problem with paragraph wrap function

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Feb 17 03:46:17 UTC 2011

On 17 February 2011 13:38, Russell Dickenson <russelldickenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I often use Geany's paragraph wrap function - tied to Control+J - but
> have a minor problem. I have set "Line breaking column" to '80' and
> "Long line marker" also to '80. The paragraph wrap function works as I
> expect, except for one minor point. I am expecting the lines to be
> wrapped at the 80 column mark but instead the lines are being wrapped
> a little short of this.
>
> I just did a test, for example, and had the word "it" wrapped onto a
> new line when in fact it would have been able to fit on the previous
> line. Do I misunderstand how this function is to work, or have I
> mis-configured the line length settings?

Hi Russell,

Geany uses Line breaking column if its set, otherwise it uses the long
line display setting if its set, so I'd say you have them set right.

The splitting is done by Scintilla the editing component Geany uses.
I have also noticed that it seems to be somewhat pessimistic about
what will fit on the line, though it is accurate about deciding when
to split lines.  Same goes for wrapping lines at the window edge,
although note that in that case it has to leave room for the wrap
marker which makes its pessimism more understandable.

I think it might be doing the same for split lines.

I notice also in the Scintilla bugs it says that some extra space is
left at the end of lines due to italics problems, don't know if thats
part of it.

If it is a problem for you try submitting a bug on Scintilla,
http://www.scintilla.org/.

By the way all bets are off if you are not using a single fixed width
font since "column" is meaningless in that case :-)