[Geany] Quirks mode

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Feb 16 01:43:56 UTC 2011

On 16 February 2011 12:05, Kete <kwfj at suddenlink.net> wrote:
> By the way, I've always thought it was way to easy to figure out how to fill
> out the Preferences template, and tonight, I found out just how hard and
> time-consuming it is to figure out the actual file templates are in
> /usr/share/geany. I think where the manual mentions ~/.config/geany, it should
> also mention /usr/share/geany because I finally located those templates with a
> terminal before clicking on the "Config file paths" link b/c that looked like it
> was going to explain ~/.config/geany.

Hi,

Yes the manual is a bit funny, AFAICT it reads user modified templates
from the user config directory first as described in "filetype
templates"and if it doesn't exist there from the system installation
as described in "custom file templates" .  So it does describe the
process albiet in two separate sections. I think the distinction
between the two is historical and maybe it needs to go away, at least
in the manual.  I guess that depends on what further developments Nick
is going ot make in the template area.

The custom file templates section references the "configuration file
paths" section which references the "installation prefix" section
which tells you how to find out the prefix.  Whilst it takes two
clicks, this is the right way to do it, because distributions can put
Geany in different places (and users can compile it anywhere), so
having a hard coded "/usr/share" may not be right, and of course is
absolutely wrong on Windows.