[Geany] Geany Themes packages

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Dec 18 21:49:10 UTC 2011

On 12/18/2011 01:08 PM, Dominic Hopf wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 18.12.2011, 11:41 -0800 schrieb Matthew Brush:

>> I don't know about this, but finally we're getting to my original
>> question, "can someone make packages for geany-themes" :)  So is this
>> something you wouldn't mind doing for Fedora?
> Yep, definitely. I'll do so as soon as I get a round to it and no other
> Fedora package beats me doing it. :)
>
> Anyway, the repository is yours [1], right? I suggest making this repo
> "official" and move it to the Geany organisation. :)

Yes, it's mine.  I was thinking about moving it to the Geany org but for
a few things: there's lots of people watching my repo on github, so I
didn't want to make people thinking it had dissappeared, and the other
is that I didn't want to increase the amount of bugs reported on Geany's
SF.net trackers when I can easily manage them on the Github issues
tracker separately without causing noise on SF.net.

Still, I think it would be a good idea to move it, if nobody else objects.

>>> Did I miss something for the Python and Vala stuff (are they there yet?)
>>> or was this just example names? :)
>>
>> The Vala binding is two files (geany.vapi and geany.deps) which need to
>> go into the system's VAPI dir (it's /usr/share/vala-VERSION/vapi here).
> Are they delivered with the Geany tarball or should they be obtained via
> [2]? In latter case I'd also suggest to make it "official". :)

It makes sense to me to distribute the Vala binding with Geany, but of
course this up to Colomban as both the maintainer of Geany and the
author/maintainer of the binding.  I think his main concern is that
binding doesn't have much testing so is too "experimental" to be
included, but IMO it's the best way to get more testing and bug fixes
done on it.

>>    This allows to write plugins in Vala, and at present the one plugin
>> (which I just added) that uses the binding embeds these files in the
>> source, but as soon as one more Vala plugin comes along, it will be
>> weird having the Vala binding embedded twice in two different places,
>> which is why I suggested a package for it.  IIUC, the Vala files would
>> typically be installed with the -dev package (on Debian), along with the
>> pkg-config file and headers.
> Well, if I provide the Vala bindings in the geany-devel package in
> Fedora, and add a Vala plugin as a new geany-plugins sub-package which
> requires geany-devel, wouldn't that do the job? - You'd just need to use
> the Vala stuff from /usr/share/vala-VERSION/vapi in your plugin then.

That would be perfect, but still it only covers Fedora, so I'd need to
include the binding in the source if it wasn't included with Geany and
installed in the other distro's packages.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush