[Geany] syntax help, at a dead end

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Dec 4 22:40:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Patrick Mc(avery
<patrick at spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> This is my first post here.
>
> I am trying to change the syntax highlighting colours for ada. There are
> alternative themes available on line( such as tango ) but they don't support
> this language.
>
> I was making good progress copying the colour definitions from the
> alternative filetypes that were supported but I have hit a dead end.
>
> Most of the items have the new colours but identifiers don't seem to despite
> the identifier tag being changed in the file.
>
> So in a little more detail, take this snippet:
> package body Option_Sets is
>
> Keywords "package, body and is" are all fine but Options_Sets in not right.
>
> I changed all the backgrounds in the filetypes.ada to a charcoal grey(
> 0x1E1E1E ) but the back ground is white and it has red font.
>
> I also changed what I could in filetypes.common and there is no white
> background defined there yet I still have the white background.
>
> The filetypes.ada I am modifying was copied from the installation directory.
> It is .21 built from source.
>
> In addition the white background turns black upon being selected.
>
> Is there another file responsible for the white background and red font, or
> some other solution? I should also mention I sent default to charcoal grey
> background as well.
>
> Thanks for reading-Patrick

The standard filetypes.ada says identifier=identifier_1 meaning it is
the common style named identifier_1 defined in filetypes.common for
the default colourscheme and in alt.conf or other named schemes for
alternative ones.

In filetypes.common identifier_1 style is set to identifier which is
set to default which has a white background.  So thats where it comes
from.

If you are trying to change *all* the background of the edit window
change it in the default style rather than changing all the individual
styles for ada.