[Geany] feature request: line-breaking pref

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Apr 6 02:56:50 UTC 2011

On 6 April 2011 11:47, Kete <kwfj at suddenlink.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday April 5, 2011 6:49:10 pm Frank Lanitz wrote:
>> A default line breaking for all kind of documents would
>> cause more pain as it might help
>
> I am not asking for a default line breaking. I am asking for an unchecked
> checkbox that I can check and turn on line breaking in every document.

Hi Kete,

The Geany developers have to consider the whole target user community,
which is by majority programmers.

As has been noted by several people, setting auto line breaking on
code is usually undesired.

So implementing your request as described is likely to be considered
not only not useful, but a negative feature, by the majority of users.

However, it is common to have documentation and code open, so it is
common for *some* files to be able to benefit from auto line breaking.

So setting it as the default per-filetype means that files of a type
that benefits from auto line breaking will be opened with it set.  And
users who disagree with the judgement of which filetypes can set the
default in their local filetyeps files.

So you can set it for all filetypes, so any file you open, opens with it set.

Therefore their proposal, whilst not exactly what you asked for,
provides the majority of your use case and also benefits the overall
user community.