[Geany] A new look?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Apr 2 22:47:54 UTC 2011

Hey Росен,

Le 03/04/2011 00:17, Росен Стоянов a écrit :
> [...] Take a look at jEdit's
> website (jedit.org <http://jedit.org>) when i opened it at fullscreen i
> stood speechless. The text stretches and thus making it somewhat hard to
> read. I will make this version of the layout, but it's considered as a
> bad practice for several years now.. Trust me i sit all day reading
> about user experience and front end development.

I think that this is not a valid argument against non-fixed-width
layouts. If the user can't read easily with hes browser in fullscreen,
the user only have to resize his browser's window. I don't see any
reason why force the user not to do what he wants -- apart that OK,
developing fixed-width layouts is generally a little easier.

Apart from this, I feel quite good with your design example, but some
remarks:

1) The slide is white on black, but the rest of the site black on white.
IMHO it looks like "a big rectangle on the middle", it'd be better be
also black on white.

2) I don't like the slider as it is used here. For me, such sliders are
quite beautiful and looks "modern" and "technical", but they are not
easy to use from a browsing POV.
IMHO they are good at showing things a bit useless, such as prominent
features and stuff like that, but not news. For example I think Ubuntu's
website makes a good use of it (http://www.ubuntu.com), but not your
example.
I'd prefer the news to be in a traditional top-to-bottom layout, or
maybe only show the latest one in the main page (or maybe show some
selection of the latest, or the latest in some categories, etc.).

3) I don't like the pink selection, sorry :D

4) We better have also a nice look without JavaScript enabled, even with
less fancy, and I don't thinks e.g. the slider really looks cool without
JS (though it's yet usable, proves it's well done :))

5) I don't like the shadow under the main title

6) not sure the blue is the best for the link color, perhaps a color
from the Geany logo would be better? (e.g. yellow, or dark red if the
yellow doesn't fit)

Otherwise, I think it's great, and is probably catchier than the current
design. We want to catch people§ :D

Cheers,
Colomban