[Geany] A new look?

Росен Стоянов f1r3fl3x at xxxxx
Sat Apr 2 22:17:10 UTC 2011

Lex, i would also disagree with you. Sidebars(that hold the main menu) are a
thing of the past. A good design always uses a width of around 900px (if it
is desired to leave space on the sides). A very large portion of the users
(based on worldwide surveys) use 1024x768 or similar resolutions, even on
22'' monitors... (!?!?)
So a sidebar would only take precious space.. considering that you have to
leave space between the menu and the content and make the font small so that
the labels don't make it too wide. Take a look at jEdit's website (jedit.org)
when i opened it at fullscreen i stood speechless. The text stretches and
thus making it somewhat hard to read. I will make this version of the
layout, but it's considered as a bad practice for several years now.. Trust
me i sit all day reading about user experience and front end development.

As I said above, newbies will if they can't find what they want.  If I
> can't find the documentation for a new tool quickly on its website I
> won't even bother to download it, too much of a waste of time, go
> somewhere else

Ok, i will make the Documentation button blink :D
Now seriously, I think that the menu is nicely divided into categories and
easy to work your way through.
If a user, no matter experienced or not, goes to the website and wants to
search for a plugin for Geany, he would go to the Downloads menu and click
Third party packages (i think plugins is better!). I seriously doubt that he
will go around the Documentation and Contribute menus :)

The thing that i think needs change is separating the info and news and
adding the screenshots to the info.
I have a cool idea about the screenshots. I will make the changes on
Wednesday :)

Cheers,
Pockata