[Geany] A new look?

Росен Стоянов f1r3fl3x at xxxxx
Sat Apr 2 09:32:44 UTC 2011

Thanks :) This is the first design that i make on my own (without a graphic
designer), so don't expect much :D
 + i made it in about 20-25 minutes :)

Geany is using PmWiki for the website (I think),

would/could this integrate with that wiki (using templates or something)?

Matthew Brush, an eventual integration with the main site and/or wiki is the
main purpose of this :)
The current site is served by PmWiki, but as the thread about the wiki
software goes towards DokuWiki,
i guess it would be logical to also switch the main site to DokuWiki.

I wonder though, how accessible is the news and info section? Could a
> screen reader such as Orca actually read these news items? I have no
> technical problem with the slideshow-style effect but generally prefer
> static items.

Russel Dickenson, The source code is almost the same. The difference is only
visual

My main comment would be that Geany is a software development tool and
> most software development capable machines have landscape screens so
> the portrait layout is wasting a lot of space for the main audience.
> It might be nice to have portrait for some handhelds that can't turn
> landscape, but they are not the main target.  Even on my tablet I
> don't do any development, let alone on a smaller screen.
>
> I'd prefer to also have the selections in a sidebar.  More of them can
> be visible and I don't have to go search the menus for them, more
> usable, especially for those first encountering the site.

Lex Trotman, sorry but i didn't quite understand the first part of your
comment. You want the site to be wider?
If that's the case i would disagree on a number of reasons. Some of them are
that not EVERY developer has a widescreen monitor.
And i have seen many that do and still use a resolution of about 1200px
wide(!?). A width of 900-960px of part of the "best practices" in UX for
websites. Also a wider site looks kind of ugly and hard to navigate.

About the menu in the sidebar, it looks really chaotic. That's why i moved
it to the top of the site. It's not so bad that the links are not directly
accessible. This isn't some dynamic everyday website like twitter or
facebook. Nobody's in a hurry, Geany isn't going anywhere :D
But i will have some spare time in a couple of days and i will make another
version of the layout with a menu column on the left :)

If there are any other suggestions, recommendations or complaints of any
sort please let me know :)

Cheers,
Pockata