[Geany] feature request: line-breaking by default

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Apr 2 08:27:02 UTC 2011

On 2 April 2011 14:52, Kete <kwfj at suddenlink.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like the option to automatically enable line-breaking in every
> document because I prefer that over line-wrapping. When somebody opens my
> source, it won't necessarily wrap at the same location, but the lines should
> break at the same locations.
> Sincerely,
> Kete

Hi,

It is really not very simple to do automatic line breaking sensibly in
source code, it is better that you break that yourself.

For pure text files it might be possible to break a line if a word
crosses a limit, but it isn't as useful as it sounds, what about a
paragraph where you add a word to a line in the middle and make the
line too long?  Then the next line has only one word on it, yuk :-)

Trying to do a reflow of the paragraph in real time is a problem
because of the overhead and the display movements it can cause.

I find that just pressing Ctrl-J now and again handles most cases.