[Geany] [plugins][geanygendoc] how to use geanygendoc ?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Sep 18 01:12:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

Le 17/09/2010 23:28, ssm2017 a écrit :
> sometimes, im having a strange behavior
> im only using geanygendoc for php functions actually
> sometimes, it is refusing to create the functiuon header and tells me :
> 23:24:36: No setting applies to symbol "result" of type "variable" at line 105.
> it is going in the function and get a variable then say this
> sometimes, when adding empty lines between 2 functions, it is working
> but not all the time... :)
Hum, I think this isn't a bug but simply the way it is (and because the
Geany's PHP tag extractor extracts variables inside functions). It it's
actually a bug, just say it again (and give an example to reproduce it,
please :)).

Actually, what GeanyGenDoc does to find out what you want to document is
very simple: it finds the first tag (symbol) before or at the current line.
So since the PHP tag extractor extracts variables inside functions, if
your cursor is inside the function but after a variable, this is the
variable that will be found.

A small example:

1. function foo ($bar) {
2.
3.   $var = 42;
4.   // ...

There is symbols at line 1 (a function) and 3 (a variable). So if the
cursor is at line 1 or 2, the function foo() will be the "current"
symbol, but at line 3 or 4, the variable $var will prevail.

This is a bit annoying from the PHP parser to extract all these
variables, yes... I just committed to SVN a way to completely ignore
some symbols, which fixes this. I also added the updated PHP
configuration file, so current SVN should support PHP by default -- even
though that configuration file probably isn't prefect yet.

> 2010/9/17 ssm2017 <ssm2017 at gmail.com>:
>> thank you
>> it looks working now
Cool :)
BTW, I created the "doxygen" doctype, but if you want something
different, either modify the current templates or create a new doctype
(and use it, by setting the appropriate value in the plugin configuration).

Regards,
Colomban