[Geany] [plugins][geanygendoc] how to use geanygendoc ?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Sep 17 16:18:50 UTC 2010

Hi again,

Le 17/09/2010 15:43, ssm2017 a écrit :
> […]
>
> i could see that using the right click mouse button, there is a menu
> called "insert comments" and inside, there is "insert function
> description"
> that is giving me :
> /*
>  *
>  * name: unknown
>  * @param
>  * @return
>  */
This one is a default Geany functionality, nothing related to GeanyGenDoc.

> cool, but i could use "snippets" for that, i would prefear to see :
> /*
>  *
>  * name: test
>  * @param $a
>  * @return $a
>  */
And it's where GeanyGenDoc can help you :) (when configured, see below)

> there is also "insert documentation comments" but nothing is happening
> when using it.
>
> so im not able to use geanygendoc
>
> the doc is containing a list of config options and some example that i
> can not understand on how to use them, i thought that it was "install
> and play" :)
Well, the problem you're facing is the lack of default configuration for
PHP, because unfortunately nobody wrote it yet.

And yes, the documentation about configuration files is perhaps a bit
hard to understand at first glance, I'm sorry... I must try to make it a
bit easier to read someday -- but that's difficult when you already know
what you're talking about :/

Well, anyway, what you want is a working configuration for PHP, right?
So, I'll try to explain a little what you have to do:

I suggest you to start with the C configuration file, so copy it from
/usr/share/geany-plugins/geanygendoc/filetypes/c.conf [1], and put it in
~/.config/geany/plugins/geanygendoc/filetypes/php.conf
So you have a configuration for PHP -- but it's currently the C one.

You now have to:
1) modify the match_function_arguments regular expression in the
settings section, in order to extract the argument list from functions
[2]. This is the complex part, because it should work with every
possible constructions.
2) in the doctypes list [3], add or modify the settings (if needed).
Basically, the Doxygen part should be OK for PHP, apart from missing
class support.
3) when you're done, reload the GeanyGenDoc configuration files with
Tools -> Documentation Generator -> Reload Configuration Files (or
restart Geany)
4) ...it should now work!

BTW, I just wrote a basic PHP configuration file (I join it here) that
you can (try to) use and improve if needed. Tell me if/how it works :)

If you have any more questions, please, go ahead :)

Regards,
Colomban

PS: it seems there's a strange bug with PHP files that places the
documentation at the wrong position for functions if they are
indented... :/ I'll take a look at this.

[1] or from the SVN if it's also missing from the Ubuntu package...:
http://geany-plugins.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/geany-plugins/trunk/geanygendoc/data/filetypes/c.conf

[2] Yes, that's a sad implementation detail, but it's needed (at least
for now, hopefully it could be done automatically someday)

[3] Each doctype represents the rules to follow in order to generate the
documentation for each symbol. Basically, see it as the output format --
Odxygen, Gtk-Doc, whatever.