[Geany] Crash in Windows and Recovery

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at xxxxx
Wed Sep 8 16:30:59 UTC 2010

Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 8 September 2010 01:30, Ronan Chilvers <ronan at d3r.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4 September 2010 19:54, Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I have had Geany lock up solid a few times in Windows. This seems to
>>> happen when I am trying to adjust the size of the Message Window or the
>>> Sidebar. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be reproducible. When it happens
>>> Geany's CPU usage goes to 100% and it is completely unresponsive and will
>>> not repaint its window.
>>>
>>> I suppose this could just as likely be a problem with the GTK port to
>>> Windows as with Geany, but I wondered if it has ever been seen before. More
>>> importantly, when it happens, is there any way to recover the changes I have
>>> made since the last save?
>>>
>> I have this happen very occasionally on my Ubuntu machine. Currently using
>> 0.20 r5714 (has happened with previous versions). Geany essentially freezes
>> completely although I don't see the high CPU usage. It doesn't recover. I
>> end up having to kill it from a terminal. Fire it up again and it all works
>> fine.
>> I wonder if this points to a GTK problem rather than Geany problem?
>>

> Possibly, or part of Geany or a plugin isn't properly reentrant.  I
> guess you can't give a definite repeatable way of causing it, but in
> general what are you doing when it happens, what plugins are you
> using, how many files, what filesystems, ie all local files or some
> remote ones?

What I was doing when it locked up was moving the separator between the
message window and the main window. I do a lot of "Find Usage" and end
up moving the size of the message window to see the results. When it
locked up, the cursor was stuck with the shape that shows you are over
the separator. It may have also happened in the past when I was moving
the separator between the sidebar and the main window. I am curious if
Ronan's experience was the same.

I have several plugins available, the only one that is active is File
Browser. I had lots of files open at the time, maybe around 100. Most if
not all were on the local C: drive (NTFS), although I have recently used
Geany to edit another project that would have been through Windows file
sharing on a Linux host running Samba. It's possible that one or two
files from that project were open at the time of the lockup.

Bob S.