[Geany] Very slow file saving over SSH

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Sep 8 10:41:39 UTC 2010

On 8 September 2010 20:22, Jake Subs <subs at growdigital.net> wrote:
> 2010/8/29 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
>> Maybe updating GVfs, gvfs-fuse helps, otherwise try to report a bug
>> against these packages. Thanks.
>
> So it _is_ GVFS that is causing the problem?
>
> I've checked my packages (Ubuntu Lucid) and they're all up to date.
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libs/gvfs
>
> What would I put in the bug report for GVFS?! Sorry to be vague but I
> don't understand what the issue is between Geany & GVFS!

Geany doesn't actually know how to save over SSH, instead GVFS,
specifically GVFS-fuse, provides the capability as if the file was
local, ie Geany reads and writes to it using C standard posix calls
just like a local file.

Therefore, as Enrico said, the performance issue is in the GVFS-fuse
part as evidenced by the difference in the performance when you copied
using standard unix cp which uses  the same C standard calls as Geany
compared to GVFS-cp which bypasses the -fuse part of the system by
using a non-standard interface.