[Geany] Crash in Windows and Recovery

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Sep 5 11:29:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 13:08:17 +0200, Frank wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 13:00:18 +0200
>Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 19:59:50 -0700, Bob wrote:
>> >Thanks for the polite reminder Lex. The problem is on my workstation
>> >at work (I use Linux here at home), so I'll post the info on
>> >Tuesday.
>>
>> I'm afraid geany --version won't work on Windows. At least I think to
>> remember the console output is omitted on the command line on
>> Windows. But you could get the info also from the About dialog.
>
>As well as the Debug-Window should work on Windows. (In case there
>might popping up some errors in front of the crash)

More importantly, try starting Geany with the "-v" argument which
should open a console window where the usual debug output is visible,
even if the Geany process hangs and doesn't repaint itself anymore. Not
sure whether there will be anything helpful but it can't hurt.

Besides of that, I don't have any idea what could be wrong.
I tried but couldn't reproduce, but you said yourself you can't always.

>More importantly, when it happens, is there any way to recover the
>changes I have made since the last save?

The only thing might be to close Geany from the taskbar hoping that the
process will handle the close event in between the other endless
operations it is processing. If not, killing it hardly would get it
away but also loose any unsaved data.