[Geany] Question about extrasel plugin

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Oct 27 23:09:07 UTC 2010

On 27 October 2010 22:30, Vineet Jain <vinjvinj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yup. I saw that. My problem is that I don't know how to add extrasel
> to ubuntu after I followed the steps on the following website:
>
> http://nightly.geany.org/debian/
>
> 1. I added deb http://geany.nightlybuilds.org/ ./debian/ to my sources.list
> 2. I installed geany
> 3. I installed geany-plugins
>
> But I still don't have geany-extrasel. Is there a reason all the
> plugins are not maintained on http://nightly.geany.org/debian/. I find
> extrasel the coolest plugin and one of the most amazing features of
> geany (the column mode) it should be really included with the default
> install of geany.

The plugins are not necessarily written and maintained by the Geany
crew.  Plugins can be listed on plugins.geany.org so that Geany users
can find them easily, but the author is not forced to set them up in
such a way that they are included in the geany-plugins package.  The
author may make this decision because they don't want to, because they
can't support maintaining the plugin to the Geany release schedule,
because they don't know how, because the plugin is not windows
compatible or GTK-2.8 compatible or other technical reasons etc.

Plugins that are not part of the geany-plugins package obviously don't
get built by the nightly server since it doesn't know about them.  It
is unlikely that they would be added to the nightly build separately
as each plugin is individual and would require significantly more
maintenance of the build server, effort which isn't really available.

The solution is, as Frank said, to compile the extra plugins yourself.