[Geany] HTML5 entities

Ross McKay rosko at xxxxx
Sat Oct 23 08:41:47 UTC 2010

Dominic Hopf wrote:

>It's at least a nice idea to detect this from the content if the file
>contains a DOCTYPE directive. The keywords may be actually read from the
>document type definition itself, then (e.g. [1]). But since this is very
>special for (X)HTML, it may be better implemented in a plugin.
>
>Also, that wouldn't work for cases, where parts of HTML files are
>included into an index file and just the index file contains the doctype
>directive. I'm doing this often, that I include files via PHP include()
>function or SSI #include. plugins.geany.org is an example for that.

Absolutely. And since HTML5 is pretty much just "has a doctype of HTML",
and really is just adding new elements and attributes / dropping defunct
old ones, I'm thinking that XHTML and HTML4 with doctypes are the only
things that can safely be detected, and only when the fragment of the
page containing the doctype is being edited.

>In this case I tend to say, let's just configure the (X)HTML version
>written by project settings under Project->Properties Menu. Maybe a
>plugin could add a new tab there? :)

I agree, a plugin that allows for selecting which HTML or XHTML spec,
and strict or transitional, in the project properties. This is really
not core Geany territory I reckon.

Not that I'm putting my hand up for it this week, however :) but if
nobody else does anything about it, maybe I'll look at it sometime this
year as pressure eases off.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"