[Geany] Serious bug - segfault

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Nov 10 21:42:53 UTC 2010

Le 10/11/2010 22:23, Jerry DeLisle a écrit :
> On 11/10/2010 09:16 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:48:24 -0800
>> Jerry DeLisle<jvdelisle at frontier.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe related.  I have been seeing geany self exit.  I am trying to
>>> nail down
>>> what I am doing to cause it.  Generally I will have a separate
>>> gnome-terminal
>>> session going.  Some times I will touch open files so to force
>>> re-compilation
>>> (gcc/gfortran development so I am building gcc all the time)
>>> Somewhere in this
>>> process geany just exits. Running on x86-64-Linux Fedora 13, latest
>>> updates
>>
>> Doesn't sound related.
>>
>> What version of Geany?
>
> Version is 0.19.1
>>
>> It would help to fix your segfault if you can get a backtrace in a
>> debugger - see:
>> http://www.geany.org/Support/Bugs
>>

> I will see what I can do.  It's one of those intermittent sort.
Not sure, but looks like a GTK+ bug that was (is?) in 2.20 IIRC.
Anyway, the bug was in the file chooser code that monitors changes, and
since Geany never destroys it's file chooser (only hide it on close), it
may crash even if the dialog is now closed.
I don't know it Fedora 13 has this bug, but it's worth checking.

If so, basically you need to:
1) open the file chooser dialog of Geany (file -> open)
2) do things that would trigger a file chooser update (touching,
creating, deleting, etc. files in the directory it monitors)

This wouldn't crash at every time, but e.g. building a moderately small
application is likely to do enough changes.

BTW, if it is this bug, you must see a warning just before Geany quits,
so you need to launch Geany from a terminal.

Regards,
Colomban