[Geany] two ideas: filebrowser and scribble

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Fri May 14 11:41:10 UTC 2010

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 14.05.2010, 07:41 +0100 schrieb startx:
> hello.
>
> i "discovered" geany only a few month ago and i really love it.
>
> 1) however,  was wondering about the filebrowser:
>
> would it be hard to extend the filebrowser functionality with
> standard operations like "delete, copy, cut, paste, rename" of files?
> is this planned for the near future?
Remember this plugin is called "file browser", not "file manager". There
are enough file managers out there, e.g. those which get delivered by
desktop environments. I don't think it's a task of a IDE to manage
files.

Well, you're not the first one who asks for those file manager features.
Those maybe could be implemented in another plugin, which can be called
file manager - it just needs someone to implement it. But, it's
important to keep in mind there are users who are satisfied with the
file browser and don't want to manage files from within Geany (or they
manage it with the optional built-in terminal), so the file browser
shouldn't be obsoleted in any way.

You also maybe want to have a look at the Tree Browser plugin available
in SVN [1], which already provides some managing features like creating,
deleting and moving files. Information about the Geany-Plugins is also
available at [2] and [3], but unfortunately not current (it's my task to
work on this, but I'm busy with some other things at present :( )

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/geany-plugins/develop
[2] http://plugins.geany.org/
[3] http://plugins2.geany.org/

> 2) it would be great to have a scratchbook (scribble) "per project",
> rather then just one file. i often make use text files just to make
> notes, but having one only for all my projects (i have a lot of them
> now) is a bit confusing.
I fully agree here. This would be really useful. :)

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com>

http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint:
A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D