[Geany] folding eating blank lines

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Mar 6 10:51:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 12:11:10 +0300, Eugene wrote:

>On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 09:40:09 +0100%
>spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> In python mode, folding eats blank lines _after_ ther end of a
>> section. For instance:
>>
>> - def foo():
>> |     print 'a'
>> |     print 'b'
>> |     print 'c'
>>
>>   # The blank line above will be folded with the func.
>>
>> This is rather annoying for it eats visual separations:
>>
>>   # tool funcs
>> + def foo()
>> + def bar()
>> + def baz()
>>
>>   # The blank line above is eaten, unfortunately.
>>   # constants
>>   A = '1'
>>   B = '2'
>>
>> Is there a way to configurate this behaviour? If not, is there a
>> chance to have a parameter, or to have it changed, in the future?
>>
>> Denis
>
>Hi.
>
>I notices this behaviour some months ago and posted a patch to
>Scintilla [1]. It was included to Scintilla's trunk, so it has been a
>part of official Scintilla releases since 2.0. Someone of the Geany
>developers will have to poll LexPython.cxx from there to fix the bug
>you described.
>
>Actually, I think that would be better if there was a tradition to poll
>all Scintilla releases to Geany, so users won't need to deal with
>already fixed Scintilla bugs.

This tradition exist, in the past we updated our Scintilla to the
latest upstream version within a few days after they were released.

This time, there is some delay for two reasons:
- Scintilla 2.0 introduced virtual spaces which was quite a big change
and had the risk of introducing new bugs (which was actually the case)
and so we decided to wait for the next bugfix release
- Limited time to do the update

So, switching to Scintilla 2.x is on my TODO, I'll try to get to it once
I managed to get all my unread mails done (currently around 50 only in
geany-devel).