[Geany] Multiple windows

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Jul 30 14:56:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 21:52:05 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm on Linux and have 8 virtual desktops and I often work on different
> > projects on different desktops. If I run gedit from the command line
> > gedit will start a new instance if there isn't already a running
> > instance on the current virtual desktop.
> >
> > I know I can do 'geany -i <file>' to open a new instance, but I was
> > wondering if the behaviour of Gedit could be matched with Geany.

I'd also like this behaviour - I added a TODO item a while ago:
o (per-workspace instances with socket support?)

I don't know whether this is doable for Geany, more research needed.

> Geany does not know about virtual desktops.  These are accessed with
> Gnome specific libraries and would increase the dependencies of Geany
> and would make it more complex to keep portable to all desktops and to
> Windows.

Maybe, but we're hopefully going to add some kind of X session support,
so not sure this argument holds.

Regards,
Nick