[Geany] Occasional crashes when switching projects

Ronan Chilvers ronan at xxxxx
Thu Jan 21 17:07:38 UTC 2010

Hi all

Thanks to the geany developers for giving us a great editor. I was wondering
if anyone had encountered the same problem I have when switching projects.
I'm currently using geany 0.19 (svn >=r4530) although this issue has
intermittently been happening for me since version ~0.17. Essentially I have
a project open. I want to load another project. I choose the project from
Project > Recent Projects. Geany asks if I want to close the current project
and I click yes. Geany thinks for a few seconds and then segfaults. The same
thing happens using the Recent Projects submenu or using Projects > Open.
I've seen this happen on 2 seperate machines (ubuntu intrepid and ubuntu
karmic) - the only link would be that the .config/geany and .geany would
have been copied over from one machine to the other when my user data was
migrated.

This happens less frequently now than it has in the past (its happened twice
today) but does still crop up. I'm editing PHP / SQL / BASH files. I have
the file browser and symbol list enabled in the side pane. I have no plugins
(apart from the file browser) enabled. I'm using a custom snippets.conf but
the default syntax highlighting files. I had the distribution geany packages
installed as well on the ubuntu intrepid machine but they are not installed
on the karmic machine (they were and I've now removed them). Geany is
installed into /usr/local. The machines are both 64 bit.

Erm... anything else that might be helpful to diagnose what's happening?
Anyone else seen this? I haven't been able to find anything on the web about
it. Only a tiny irritation in an otherwise great tool!

Ronan
D3R Ltd
t 0333 800 2288
f 0333 800 2289