[Geany] Compiling from source on Cygwin platform

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jan 11 20:24:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:53:10 -0500, John wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Thomas Martitz
><thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>>> The question which raises to me:
>>> why are you doing that at all? That is, why do you want to compile
>>> Geany in Cygwin? I think the native Windows port is faster and at
>>> least easier to use.
>>
>> Cygwin creates native windows executables AFAIK.
>
>Well, the usual way to develop under Cygwin is to write source code
>which assumes a POSIX environment.  When you compile this, Cygwin
>links to its own special DLL which provides POSIX emulation.  So, most
>Cygwin applications are "native" in the sense that they are Windows
>binaries, but they are also not native in the sense that someone
>without the Cygwin DLL cannot run that application.
>
>According to the Cygwin site, there are compiler options which let you
>link directly to Microsoft's libraries and NOT use the Cygwin DLL, but
>then you cannot assume the POSIX environment and you must code for
>native Windows.  In this scenario, Cygwin is essentially just
>providing the Unix-like command shell and Unix-like compilation tools.
>
>Presumably, if someone is talking about using Cygwin to compile Geany,
>what they mean is they want to compile the source as if they were on
>*nix, but doing so on their Cygwin-equipped Windows machine.  This
>would fall under the Cygwin-DLL-requiring scenario.  Enrico's point
>is:  Why not just use the Windows version of Geany?
>
>The only reason I can think of (and I am just guessing here, because I
>don't use Cygwin myself) is that the OP wants to use Geany as his
>Cygwin editor/IDE, and that a truly native Windows version (that
>doesn't use the Cygwin DLL) wouldn't be able to correctly access the
>Cygwin environment where all his development stuff is.

Yeah, that could be a sane use case which would disqualify the native
build.
Still, as I wrote earlier, I'm not sure what's wrong. To me, it looks
rather like an error in the build system setup (gcc, g++ + their libs)
than a problem in Geany itself.