[Geany] vertical green line in Geany code window

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sat Feb 13 16:50:05 UTC 2010

Am Samstag, den 13.02.2010, 17:28 +0100 schrieb Frank Lanitz:
> Hi Carl, list
>
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:39:01 -0800 (PST)
> Carl Cosgrove <carlcosgrove at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm sure that the vertical green line that appears in the Geany code
> > window several inches from the left margin is an aid to many users,
> > but I personally find it distracting and can't find any answers on
> > how to hide it. If someone could tell me what it is even for, and
> > particularly, how to hide it, I would greatly appreciate it!
>
> As everybody just mentioned, how to get rid of it, just one sentence
> about the sense of this ;)
>
> As the name of options is already saying, its the long line marker,
> which is showing you when you line is getting too long for your
> configuration as on most cases you just want to have a line length of
> 72, 80 or maybe 100 chars. If you have a wide screen monitor or using a
> high resolution you might see up to 150 or even more chars in one line
> without breaking which might is not fair to people you share your files
> with.

An additional important aspect is, that there are many users or
developers working with terminals which are limited to 80 chars width
(or even another value). Sourcecode with lines longer than 80 chars
really wouldn't look that nice and the guys would have many problems
while developing.

There also is for example a limit by RPM when writing specfiles for
packages. It's not possible to write a description for a package longer
than 79 chars and rpmbuild or rpmlint will claim that. In such and
similar cases the long line marker is a really helpful feature. :)

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com>

http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint:
A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D