[Geany] One more... Reload all.

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Feb 4 11:40:21 UTC 2010

On 4 February 2010 22:10, Joerg Desch <jd.vvd at web.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 20:00:15 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thats certainly possible, but to be useful the dialog has to be
>> non-modal so the user can do something about it.  That is a lot more
>> work than just adding a button to the current dialog and using a
>> non-modal message only dialog with the list of files. The standard GTK
>> message dialog can arrange for itself to close IIRC.  Making files
>> disappear off the list is for the wish list.
>
> OK. Do I understand right? A non-modal dialog with an additional "reload
> all" button is possible? If so, the list of files which has to be
> reloaded could be added to the message text?

Certainly adding the list to the dialog should be possible, its just
text, but making a dialog non-modal is more complicated, you need
callbacks instead of waiting for the response etc. This changes the
whole design of that section of the code.  Its all possible, but it
depends on if its worth it.  I was suggesting leaving the current
dialog modal and using the GTK standard message dialog that only has a
close button that can be connected to close the dialog without any
callbacks etc in the user code.  Less work.. :-)

One thought I had which one of the Geany experts will have to answer
is: once the dialog has appeared can it be stopped from continuing to
appear if we save/rename the open files, ie is the detection of
mismatched timestamps synchronous or asynchronous which would mean a
queue of mismatches waiting to annoy us anyway?

>> > What about adding a checkbox to each entry to give the user the
>> > possibility to unselect some of the files.
>>
>> And this means a custom dialog and handling, still if someone wrote
>> it ...:-)
>
> Is it possible to add a scripting hook to Geany? If the hook is
> registered, the internal dialog isn't used. Instead of it, the script is
> called.
>
> Is there an API for the script to detect a change?

I don't think such hooks exist and I would think it will take as much
work as doing the dialog.