[Geany] Very slow file saving over SSH

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Aug 29 10:13:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:45:51 +0100, Jake wrote:

Hi,

sorry for not replying to your previous mail and for replying so late
now. I lost track a bit.

>> 2010/8/5 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
>>> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 18:19:19 +0100, Jake wrote:
>>> Still I'm wondering why it seems so much slower to you than Gedit's
>>> saving. Can you try to do some tests on the command line with
>>> 'cp' and 'gvfs-cp', 'cp' uses libc, 'gvfs-cp' uses GIO.
>
>I finally managed to run these tests:
>
>I copied a PNG file to a Dreamhost SFTP server via GVFS , 493814 bytes
>in size.
>
>cp    36.043 seconds
>gvfs-copy    13.895 seconds

Ok, that confirms my assumption, that it isn't strictly related to
Geany but more to GVfs resp. gvfs-fuse.

Maybe updating GVfs, gvfs-fuse helps, otherwise try to report a bug
against these packages. Thanks.